Friday 15 January 2016

Jellyfish Stings

Washed-up blue bottle
Photo by Pappito at 
en.wikipedia/
Well, there are certainly some travel experiences that aren't precisely pleasant, but than can be useful nonetheless. Coming from Alberta, I can tell you how to avoid a bear or a cougar, how to see a moose beside the road, and all manner of useful things, but I have never had the misfortune of learning how to deal with jellyfish stings. Today I had that experience while surfing at Ngaranui beach near Raglan.

I was paddling out when I felt a string on my leg. At first I thought it was just the leash for the surf board, so I grabbed it to move it away from my leg. Then it started stinging across my hand and all around my leg, which had gotten wrapped in the tentacle. Since I already had the tentacle in my hand I tossed the jelly fish away from me, then swam into shore. I rinsed it off my leg in the ocean, but had a harder time getting it off my hand. I went to the lady who runs the surf shop on the beach, but she was very unsympathetic and not at all helpful. I went to the shower to try to get the stinger off and a lady there sent me to the lifeguards, who were exceptionally professional and helpful.

As a side note, I am very glad that we did not book our lessons with Raglan surfing school, the main surf rental and lessons on the beach. They were unsympathetic, unhelpful, and not very professional. Their boards are also of much poorer quality than the ones we have been using with Steve at Surf Safe.

Right, back to jellyfish!

There are three main types of stinging jellyfish near New Zealand, but thankfully they aren't deadly, only somewhat painful. It is important to know what types of jellyfish might be at the beach you are at since the treatment is somewhat different. I was stung by a blue bottle, also known as a Portuguese Man-of-war. For these, you don't want to use vinegar or pee on them, contrary to popular opinion!

The best treatment is:

  • Wash the affected area with either fresh or saltwater
  • Remove the tentacles or stings attached to the skin as quickly as possible - avoid touching them with your bare hands
  • Place the affected area in warm water (45C or higher) for as long as possible - 20 minutes or more if available
  • Do not apply vinegar, methylated spirits, or alcohol as these will only make the sting more painful
The NZ Ministry of Health and St John's have more information as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment